Sunday, October 15, 2006

Working at my "cognitive edge"

It is possible to enter an entirely new field of study and experience the sensation that you instincitvely "know" it, and yet find it pushes you to your intellectual limits.

In December last year I completed an inspiring and mind-expanding training course in the Cognitive Edge framework and methods (formally known as the Cynefin Framework). Course presenter and framework founder, Dave Snowden, kept course participants on the edges of their seats and at the edges of their cognitive limits, while matter-of-factly laying down the framework foundations for us (fabulous facilitation was provided by Viv Read and others from SOLA).

I finished that course with ideas exploding through my head of how the methods could be used within my agency or elsewhere for that matter, to the point where I think it was somewhat overwhelming. I regret to say that not knowing where to start, coupled with that pesky demanding "day job" has seen me do nothing with Cognitive Edge since then.

After recently switching onto the Blogosphere I've found so much more material to inspire me, so..... crunchtime is here. This blog is my first step in making sense of complexity and all that I have learned, through regular tracking of my research, exploration of ideas and hopefully stimulating conversations. I am planning to publicise my blog to colleagues within my agency in the very near future (say 6 weeks away..?) as a way to start conversations internally about how to apply the concepts and methods encapsulated in Cognitive Edge.

If you are an accredited Cognitive Edge practitioner who, like me hasn't been sure where to start - or you have made some progress and can share what you have learned - I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers for now,
S

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere and thanks for the kind remarks - we will try and live up to them!

There will be chat and other support forums opening up on the CE web site shortly, but in the mean time feel free to post questions or comments.

I only started to blog around three months ago and already find it addictive. Linking and commenting to other people's blogs help you get connected and known. Best of luck

Serena said...

Thanks Dave - and I have been enjoying your blog very much. The support tools on CE are eagerly awaited!

...and I know you will post it when you get time, but I can't wait to hear more about the networked government work and related experiments...!

Cheers,
S

David Williams said...

Hi Serena,
I've done the Cognitive Edge training and have used the techniques in telecomms marketing and now in working with a visitor attraction to increase visitor numbers.

I'd be very interested in talking more with you and sharing ideas!

David